Sources in this library
- Competition Appeals Tribunal
- Dispute Resolution Service
- Employment Appeal Tribunal
- England and Wales Care Standards Tribunal
- England and Wales Court of Appeal
- England and Wales High Court of Justice
- England and Wales Lands Tribunal
- Financial Services and Markets Tribunals
- First-tier Tribunal (Health Education and Social Care Chamber)
- House of Lords
- Privy Council
- Supreme Court
- Upper Tribunal
- Ahmed v Crown Prosecution Service, Court of Appeal - Civil Division, November 15, 2018,  EWCA Civ 2543
2. Mr Ahmed was convicted on 28 March 2007 of conspiracy to cheat the public revenue. The charges arose out of a ``carousel'' VAT fraud designed to extract money from HM Revenue and Customs (``HMRC'', then HM Customs and Excise). 3. Confiscation proceedings under Part VI of the Criminal Justice Act 1988 ensued. In 2010, these came before Flaux J, w...
- Fowler v HM Revenue and Customs, Court of Appeal - Civil Division, November 15, 2018,  EWCA Civ 2544
1. Mr Fowler is a qualified diver and a resident of South Africa. In the tax years 2011/2012 and 2012/2013 he undertook diving engagements in the waters of the UK continental shelf. The governments of the UK and South Africa are parties to a Double Taxation Treaty which came into force on 17 December 2002. It is based on the OECD model form of doub...
- Jayaraman, R (on the application of) v The Secretary of State for the Home Department, Court of Appeal - Civil Division, November 15, 2018,  EWCA Civ 2545
2. The Immigration (Biometric Registration) Regulations 2008 (SI 2008/3048) were made under the power granted to the Secretary of State by section 5 of the UK Borders Act 2007 to make regulations requiring a person subject to immigration control to obtain and provide a document recording biometric information when making a range of applications. R...
- Winter v Hockley Mint Ltd, Court of Appeal - Civil Division, November 15, 2018,  EWCA Civ 2480
1. This is an appeal from the order dated 7 February 2018 of HHJ Purle QC awarding damages of £531,803.98 against the appellant, Mr James Winter, for vicarious liability for fraudulent misrepresentations made to the respondent, Hockley Mint, by Mr Brian Ramsden. Factual background 2. The factual background is set out in detail in two judgments of ...
- British Telecommunications Plc v The Office of Communications, Court of Appeal - Civil Division, November 14, 2018,  EWCA Civ 2542
1. The issue raised by this appeal is whether the Competition Appeal Tribunal (the ``CAT'') was right to adopt the starting point that costs should follow the event in an appeal brought under section 192 (``section 192'') of the Communications Act 2003 (the ``2003 Act''). The Office of Communications (``Ofcom'') is appealing the CAT's decision dat...
- Solicitors Regulation Authority v James, Court of Appeal - Administrative Court, November 13, 2018,  EWHC 3058 (Admin)
1. These three appeals under section 49 of the Solicitors Act 1974 by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (``SRA'') against decisions of the Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal (``SDT'') have been ordered to be heard together by Supperstone J. In each case, the SDT made findings of dishonesty against the solicitor in question, but went on to find that...
- Addlesee & Ors v Dentons Europe LLP, Court of Appeal - Chancery Division, November 13, 2018,  EWHC 3010 (Ch)
(1) a declaration that the documents in the client files held by the defendant solicitors in respect of Anabus Holdings Limited (a Cypriot company, now dissolved) (``the Company'') are not protected by legal professional privilege, and that the parties are entitled to make use of such documents for the purposes of these proceedings; and (2) an orde...
- Wellington Properties Ltd v Second Duke of Westminster, Trustees of the Will of & Anor, Court of Appeal - Chancery Division, November 13, 2018,  EWHC 3048 (Ch)
1. This is an appeal by the Defendants (``Grosvenor'') against an order of His Honour Judge Bailey sitting in the County Court at Central London dated 8 December 2017 declaring that the flank wall of 39 Headfort Place, London SW1X 7DE (``39HP'') which adjoins the Halkin Street Garden (``the Garden'') is a party wall within the meaning of section 38...
- Jain v Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust, Court of Appeal - Queen's Bench Division, November 13, 2018,  EWHC 3016 (QB)
1. The Claimant is employed by the Defendant NHS Foundation Trust as a Consultant Radiologist pursuant to the terms and conditions referred to and set out in a contract dated 6 May 2014. He first commenced work on 5 November 2001. As at 2001 the Claimant's employer was the University Hospital of South Manchester NHS Trust. In 2006 the University Ho...
- Safeer & Ors, R (On the Application Of) v Secretary of State for the Home Department, Court of Appeal - Civil Division, November 13, 2018,  EWCA Civ 2518
1. This is an appeal by Muhammad Safeer (the appellant) and his dependants, his wife and daughter, against a decision of Upper Tribunal Judge (``UTJ'') Jacobs dated 27 June 2016 whereby he refused permission to apply for judicial review to challenge the refusal by letter dated 3 December 2015 of the appellant's Tier 1 entrepreneur application and t...