Sources in this library
- Competition Appeals Tribunal
- Dispute Resolution Service
- Employment Appeal Tribunal
- England and Wales Care Standards Tribunal
- England and Wales Court of Appeal
- England and Wales High Court of Justice
- England and Wales Lands Tribunal
- Financial Services and Markets Tribunals
- First-tier Tribunal (Health Education and Social Care Chamber)
- House of Lords
- Privy Council
- Supreme Court
- Upper Tribunal
- DZ (Eritrea), R (on the application of) v The Secretary of State for the Home Department, Court of Appeal - Civil Division, January 19, 2017,  EWCA Civ 14
1. The appellant appeals against an order made by HHJ Birtles, sitting as a deputy judge of the High Court (``the judge''), dismissing the appellant's judicial review claim for declaratory relief that he had been unlawfully detained and tortious damages for detention. The judgment (``the judgment'') is to be found at  EWHC 92 (Admin). 2. The...
- Secretary of State for the Home Department v Akbar, Court of Appeal - Civil Division, January 19, 2017,  EWCA Civ 16
1. This is an appeal by the Secretary of State for the Home Department (``the Secretary of State'') against a decision of District Judge Fox of 21 September 2015. Sitting in the Oldham County Court the judge allowed a statutory appeal by Mr Mohammed Akbar against a decision by the Secretary of State to impose a civil penalty on him under section 1...
- The Home Office (UK Visas & Immigration) v Kuranchie (Disability Discrimination: Reasonable adjustments), Court of Appeal - United Kingdom Employment Appeal Tribunal, January 19, 2017,  UKEAT 0202_16_1901
The Employment Tribunal's finding of failure to make a reasonable adjustment upheld. The employer's appeal dismissed. The Claimant's cross-appeal against the Employment Tribunal's finding that she had failed to adduce any evidence such as to pass stage one of the Igen test in relation to a complaint of racial discrimination upheld. That issue wa...
- Rashid, R v, Court of Appeal - Criminal Division, January 18, 2017,  EWCA Crim 2
1. On 13 November 2015, the applicant was convicted at the Crown Court at Woolwich before HHJ Katz QC and a jury of two offences under s.5 of the Terrorism Act 2006, having earlier pleaded guilty to a count of fraud. He was sentenced to a total of five years' imprisonment. His application for leave to appeal against sentence was considered by thi...
- Channon (t/a Channon & Co) v Ward (t/a Ward & Associates), Court of Appeal - Civil Division, January 18, 2017,  EWCA Civ 13
1. This appeal against a decision made by His Honour Judge Cotter QC sitting as a Deputy Judge of the Queen's Bench Division in Exeter on 12 May 2015 arises out of a most unusual case. Elements of it are difficult to understand but explain some unusual features of the way in which the hearing before Judge Cotter was conducted. 2. The Claimant/Ap...
- Hamnett v Essex County Council, Court of Appeal - Civil Division, January 18, 2017,  EWCA Civ 6
1. Two principal questions arise on this appeal. First, whether the appeal is academic and should be entertained at all. Secondly, whether the High Court or the County Court had jurisdiction to entertain the application made by the then Claimant and now Appellant. In his judgment dated 13th February, 2014 (``the judgment''), Singh J held, advers...
- Manna v Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Court of Appeal - Civil Division, January 18, 2017,  EWCA Civ 12
1. This is an appeal in respect of one item only of an award of damages made by Cox J on 1 October 2015 in favour of the Claimant/Respondent Lamarieo Manna, then 18 years of age. There is also a challenge to the judge's order requiring the Defendant/Appellant Health Authority to pay on the indemnity rather than the standard basis the Claimant's co...
- Shanks v Unilever Plc & Ors, Court of Appeal - Civil Division, January 18, 2017,  EWCA Civ 2
1. This is an appeal by Professor Ian Shanks against the dismissal by Arnold J. ( EWHC 1647 (Pat)) of his appeal against a decision of the Comptroller-General of Patents (acting by Mr Julyan Elbro, Divisional Director) who dismissed his claim for employee compensation pursuant to s.40(1) of the Patents Act 1977 (``the 1977 Act''). The claim
- FirstGroup Plc (Respondent) v Paulley (Appellant)
- London Borough of Hackney v Haque, Court of Appeal - Civil Division, January 17, 2017,  EWCA Civ 4, WLR(D) 21
1. This appeal from the Order made by HH Judge Luba QC in the County Court at Central London on 18 February 2016 raises further issues about the impact of the Public Sector Equality Duty (``PSED'') upon the discharge by a local housing authority of its duties under Part VII of the Housing Act 1996 (``HA''), beyond those already addressed by the Sup...