Sources in this library
- Competition Appeals Tribunal
- Dispute Resolution Service
- Employment Appeal Tribunal
- England and Wales Care Standards Tribunal
- England and Wales Court of Appeal
- England and Wales High Court of Justice
- England and Wales Lands Tribunal
- Financial Services and Markets Tribunals
- First-tier Tribunal (Health Education and Social Care Chamber)
- House of Lords
- Privy Council
- Supreme Court
- Upper Tribunal
- Akhtar v R, Court of Appeal - Criminal Division, February 26, 2015,  EWCA Crim 176
1. On 21 December 2012, in the Crown Court at Wood Green before His Honour Judge Ader and a jury, the appellant was convicted, by a majority of 11:1, of possession of an offensive weapon, namely a petrol bomb, contrary to s. 1(1) of the Prevention of Crime Act 1953. Failing to agree, the jury were discharged from returning a verdict on what was co...
- Boardman, R v, Court of Appeal - Criminal Division, February 26, 2015,  EWCA Crim 175
1. It is beyond argument that there is considerable pressure on all involved in the criminal justice system to maximise the use of limited resources and to ensure that cases are processed as efficiently as possible. The recent Review of Efficiency in Criminal Proceedings makes it clear (at para. 22); ``It is ... necessary to ensure that the scarce...
- Blakesley v Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, Court of Appeal - Civil Division, February 26, 2015,  EWCA Civ 141
2. In this appeal a refugee seeks to recover back-payments of income support in respect of the period before her refugee status was established. It is common ground that the appellant's claim cannot succeed on the basis of UK legislation. The issue is whether the appellant can sustain her claim on the basis of international instruments. 3. Let me...
- Conlon v Royal Sun Alliance Insurance Plc, Court of Appeal - Civil Division, February 26, 2015,  EWCA Civ 92
1. This is an appeal by the claimant, Mrs Conlon, against the order made by His Honour Judge Gosnell on 11 July 2014 in the County Court at Bradford upon her appeal against the order made by Deputy District Judge Greenwood on 7 February 2014. There is also before the court an application by Mrs Conlon for an order that this case be re-allocated fro...
- Integral Petroleum S.A. v SCU-Finanz AG, Court of Appeal - Civil Division, February 26, 2015,  EWCA Civ 144
2. On 17 July 2013 the claimant and appellant Integral Petroleum SA (``Integral'') entered judgment in default of defence in its action for damages for breach of contract against the defendant and respondent SCU-Finanz AG (``SCU'') in the sum of US$ 1,078,547 plus costs. On 24 December 2013 SCU applied under CPR Part 13 to set that judgment aside...
- Marzillier, Dr Meier & Dr Guntner Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH v AMT Futures Ltd, Court of Appeal - Civil Division, February 26, 2015,  EWCA Civ 143
1. AMT Futures Ltd (``AMTF'') is a company incorporated in the UK, which acted as an execution only broker for the purchase and sale of derivative instruments. Marzillier, Dr Meier & Dr Guntner Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH (``MMGR'') is a firm of German lawyers. 2. AMTF obtained instructions from introducing brokers. They introduced clients to AMT...
- PG (USA) v The Secretary of State for the Home Department, Court of Appeal - Civil Division, February 26, 2015,  EWCA Civ 118
1. The appellant, Phyllis Gain, is a 76-year-old national of the United States of America. She worked in her country's Foreign Service between 1965 and 2005. Her daughter and son-in-law - the latter is a minister of religion - moved to Surrey in the United Kingdom in September 2012 along with their three children. 2. The appellant is financially i...
- The Secretary of State for the Home Department v Dumliauskas & Ors, Court of Appeal - Civil Division, February 26, 2015,  EWCA Civ 145
1. The Citizenship Directive (Directive 2004/38/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council on the right of citizens of the Union and their family members to move and reside freely within the territory of the Member States) (``the Directive''), brought into force in the UK by the Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2006 (SI 2006/1...
- Stevens v Equity Syndicate Management Ltd, Court of Appeal - Civil Division, February 26, 2015,  EWCA Civ 93
1. This is an appeal by the claimant, Mr Stevens, against an order of Burnett J (as he then was) made on 12 March 2014 allowing in part and dismissing in part his appeal against an order of Mr Recorder Tolson QC made on 24 May 2013. The appeal is brought with the permission of Patten LJ granted on 3 July 2014. It raises an important question as to
- Chawla v Hewlett Packard Ltd (Disability Discrimination: Reasonable adjustments), Court of Appeal - United Kingdom Employment Appeal Tribunal, February 25, 2015,  UKEAT 427_13_2502
The Claimant was disabled. The Respondent had a provision criterion or practice of shutting down access to email and internet for employees on long-term sickness absence. The Employment Tribunal held that this substantially disadvantaged the Claimant in that he was not informed about important developments to his terms and conditions of employmen...